Please review the application carefully and fill it out in its entirety.
Delta GEMS (Growing and Empowering Myself Successfully) was created to catch the dreams of African-American adolescent girls aged 14-18. Delta GEMS provides the framework to actualize those dreams through the performance of specific tasks that develop a CAN DO attitude.
The goals for Delta GEMS are:
• To instill the need to excel academically
• To develop effective written and oral communication skills
• To encourage self-confidence, self-motivation, and self-discipline
• To foster meaningful public service; including mentoring and networking
• To assist with the exploration of various career paths and means for
• To support talents in academics, technology, sports, and fine arts
The Delta GEMS program offers a road map for college and career planning through activities that provide opportunities for self-reflection and individual growth. Delta GEMS participants have the opportunity to define and “Discover their individual Brilliance!”
The Dr. Betty Shabazz Delta Academy was created to serve as a catalyst for academic excellence in our adolescent girls ages 11-14, and guide their positive dreams and aspirations to a successful future. The goals of the program are:
- to save our girls from mediocre academic achievement and low self-esteem.
- to demonstrate the relevance to a girl's future of scholarship in areas of math, science, technology and non-traditional careers;
-to develop leadership skills in our girls through service learning projects;
-to expand the thinking of our girls about possible careers and educational goals that include science, math, and technology.